Sunday, October 20, 2013

          Preachers of LA

Brief Show Synopsis:
This show is based on six pastors from the Los Angeles area (one is missing from the promo ad) and their lives inside and outside of the church. We have Bishop Ron Gibson who is a former gang member, and drug abuser now turned Pastor. Next there is Pastor Wayne Chaney (he is actually the pastor of my sister's church in Long Beach, CA), who has taken over as Pastor of the church his grandfather built. Then we have Pastor Jay Haizlip who was one of the biggest names in competitive skateboarding but found himself heading into a downward spiral of drug abuse, he changed his life around, and is now a senior Pastor mentoring the youth. Bishop Clarence McClendon was lead to preaching at the very young age of 10, and is now known internationally for his sermons. Deitrick Haddon is an Grammy nominated gospel recording artist, and an Ex-Pastor. He was shunned from his church after getting a divorce, and having a baby out of wedlock. Last but no least there is Bishop Noel Jones is the brother of Grace Jones, and Pastor of one of the largest celebrity filled churches in LA, he is headed to retirement, and trying to find someone to take his place.

My Opinion:
I have so many mixed emotions about this show! OK, so I'll start here we are only on episode two, and I  have to say that I don't like the way some of these Pastors are focusing on all of the "bling", and material things that they have. As a christian, that is one of the biggest turn offs in looking for a church. Instead of focusing on all of the material things they have acquired, I would like to know more about the programs they have for their church members, and community members who may be in need. On the other side to that they do explain that a lot of their money comes from book deals, and speaking engagements that they have. All I can so is that it doesn't look good. If I were going to their church, I would have some serious questions, and I'm sure the IRS will also! The show does have some good sides. On the second episode Pastor Jay Haizlip is trying to figure out how to deal with a female church member who has decided to get a sex change. I can honest say that I'm pretty sure that was one of the hardest talks he has had to have in his career. He handled it so eloquently, telling the now young man that he was always welcome into his church, and encourging him to contuie to have faith in GOD no matter what. There will be more to come on this series!


No comments:

Post a Comment